Cross country Skiing in West Yellowstone
Cross country skiing abounds in West Yellowstone, drawing Nordic ski enthusiasts from all over the world. Participate in one of the many festivals or just get out by yourself to enjoy the peace and quiet of the trails. Within walking (or gliding) distance to both Rendezvous Ski Trails | www.skirunbikemt.com/ski.html | and Yellowstone National Park Nordic ski trails | nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit./skiyell.htm |, and driving distance of Harriman State Park, | parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/harriman | the Kelly Inn West Yellowstone, is a great home base for Nordic ski expeditions.
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK AND WEST YELLOWSTONE
- On the east side of town at the intersection of Madison Ave and Boundary St. is Riverside Ski Trail | https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/yell-riverside-ski-trail.htm | with two loops combining for nearly 10K of skiing along the Madison River.
- The Old Faithful Ski Trails | https://www.nps.gov/tripideas/yell-trip-ski-area-old-faithful.htm | provide a skiing and snowshoeing experience unlike any other due to the heat generated by the thermal features. At some points, you may have to remove your skis and walk!
- Experience world renowned Nordic Skiing at the Rendezvous Ski Trails. | www.skirunbikemt.com/ski.html | Winding through tall stands of lodge pole pine and open meadows, the trails consist of more than 35K of beautiful scenery entirely on U.S. Forest Service land.
- West Yellowstone and Gallatin Area
- Head 26 miles west on Hwy 20 to Island Park, ID to find Harriman State Park. | parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/harriman | Harriman has trails for all ability levels, and features seven miles of skating lanes to the breathtaking views of Yellowstone National Park on Ridge Loop Trail from Ridge Overlook. You can also ski along the Henry's Fork of the Snake River from Harriman State Park to Mack's Inn.
- If you're feeling a little adventurous, take a left out of our drive way and head north on Hwy 191 for a series of local favorite hot spots. With views of the Madison and Gallatin mountain ranges, Telemark Meadows | www.powderproject.com/trail/7000990/telemark-meadows | offers gentle slopes for telemark skiing. Just 2 miles north Bighorn Pass Trail | https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/wyoming/bighorn-pass-trail-from-us-191| parallels Fawn Pass Trail and connects 8 kilometers in. You could make a loop or just go in and out for a quick trip. Specimen Creek Trail | https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/montana/specimen-creek-trail | is a great place to find petrified trees or the occasional moose. On any of these trails keep your eyes out for the herds of Yellowstone Elk.